In the state of Bihar nematological research, though started functioning from 1950 but the systematic research programme were started from 1971 after the establishment of a small section of nematology under All India Coordinated Research Project on Sugarcane at Sugarcane Research Institute, Pusa. Immediately after its initiation this section took over the responsibilities of teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses offered by plant Pathology and Entomology departments. Soon after, based on its high standard of research and problem identification, the small section was recognized and elevated to a full-fledged department at Sugarcane Research Institute, Pusa in the year 1978.
The teaching programme of the department was combined with two other sister departments namely Plant Pathology and Entomology. After few years, a need was felt to have a full-fledged department of Nematology at University to have a better coordination between teaching and research, as a result a post graduate department of Nematology was established in 1982 with Dr. R.P Nathan as its first professor and Head.
- Role of Nematodes in Soil and crop health
- Development of technologies for the management of Root-knot, Roniforur, lesion nematodes and ectoparasitic nematodes infecting cereal, vegetable, Pulse, Oil seed and fruit crops.
- Farmer- participatory Nematode Management.
|Dr. K.N. Pathak||Professor & Heademail@example.com|
|Dr. U.S. Singh||Associate Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Nishi Keshri||Assistant Professoremail@example.com|
Major Nematode Problems of Bihar State
- Root-knot (Meloidogyne incognita & M. javanica)
- Nematodes on vegetables, pulses, Oil seeds and ornamental crops distributed thorough out the state.
- Root-knot nematodes (M. graminicola) infecting rice.
- Ear-cockle nematode (Anguina tritici) infecting wheat.
- All India coordinated wheat & Barley Improvement project on Nematology (Crop Protection Programme): as voluntary centre.
- All India coordinated Research project on pulses (Chickpea, MULLaRP & Pigeonpea) Nematology- voluntary centre.
Major Recommendations/Technology Developed
- Application of pressmud @ 200 Q/ha one month before planting, carbofuran @ 1 kg a.i./ha for minimizing nematode population and increasing yield of sugarcane in nematode infested field.
- Use of oil cakes namely neem and mustard cakes @ 8-10 q/ha one month before sowing/ planting and carbofuran @ 1 kg a.i./ha for managing nematode population in infested fields.
- Sowing of nematode gall free wheat seeds for the control of ear cockle disease of wheat.
- Varieties found resistant / moderately resistant/ tolerant & resistant against Meloidogne incognita.