The College of Fisheries, Dholi is the only institution in the fisheries sector in the State imparting an undergraduate professional degree programme. The College was established on 05.11.1986 after getting due approval of the Board of Management in its meeting held on 26.08.1986. The first batch of students was admitted in the academic session of 1986-87 on 13.01.1987.
The College is located at Dholi, 25 km away from Muzaffarpur, the district headquarter and 10 km away from the university headquarter on Muzaffarpur – Pusa road.
Course Curriculum and Faculty
The course curriculum is at par to the other fisheries colleges of India, as it designed and based on the recommendation of Dean’s Committee Report organized by ICAR from time to time as per the need of fisheries Industry. Various courses pertaining to Fisheries Science with the total load of 176 credit hours are presently being taught under 6 departments. Out of 176 credit hours, 126 credit hours are covered during first to six semesters while rest 0+25 credit hour and 0+20 credit hours are offered to the students during the 7th and 8th semester under Hands on Training (experiential learning) and In-plant training (industry attachment) programmes respectively.
Focus is given on the development of innovative course materials, lecturers and assignments during resident teaching by the faculty. College also invites various experts regularly as visiting faculty from industries and academic institutions to pace the students with latest developments in the field of fisheries and aquaculture.
Presently, College of Fisheries offers a four year professional degree programme Bachelor of Fisheries Science (B.F.Sc.), where the students, after passing I.Sc. or 10+2 (Biology group) are admitted through AIEEA-UG conducted by ICAR, New Delhi.
- Under Agricultural Road Map, Govt. of Bihar is providing scholarship @ Rs. 2000/- per month to every student admitted in B.F.Sc. Programme. Beside this Rs. 6000/- per year is also provided to them for purchase of books and stationary items.
- The university provides scholarship to the students on merit basis at 10 % of intake capacity of students as Merit Scholarship @ Rs. 500/- per student per month for general category and merit cum means @ Rs. 400/- per student per month for both reserve and unreserved category students of the state.
- ICAR, New Delhi awards National Talent Scholarship (NTS) @ Rs. 2000/- per month to those students who join the B.F.Sc. programme outside the State of their domicile.
The Graduates of the College have secured ranks in AIEEA-PG (JRF) examination conducted by ICAR, New Delhi. Several students of this College have been benefitted and conducting higher studies in Fisheries institutions of ICAR and SAU’s.
This initiative is a sequel to activities created to foster an entrepreneurial culture, generate a healthy respect for entrepreneurship and its contribution to society. The system of education in the State is geared towards moulding our students to be ‘job seekers’; whereas College develop a positive attitude among students regarding fisheries entrepreneurs and entrepreneurship, thus motivating them to take up this vocation as a career.
Hands-on Training (Experiential Learning)
The students in 7th semester are deputed to work in at least two specialized areas under Hands-on Training programme i.e. on “Aqua-farming” and “Ornamental fish production” depending on local needs and industrial demands.
The students in 8th semester are deputed outside the campus for practical training on processing plant, product development unit, Aqua farm, Ornamental fish culture unit whichever is accessible to the college. Presently the students are deputed for 12 week training on “Fisheries Post Harvest Technology” to National Institute of Fisheries Post Harvest Technology, Kochi, Kerala.
- Class rooms equipped with computer and LCD projection systems and laboratories with necessary equipments provide effective learning environment.
- The college library houses approx 5000 books, national/ international journals & magazines to cater the need of students and trainees.
- A computer Laboratory with over 20 terminals provides Internet services.
- The college has a conference room equipped with audio-visual equipments for hosting Seminars and conferences.
- The College has colourful aquarium housing variety of ornamental fishes which provide hands on training to students and attract large number of visitors.
- The wet laboratory, different models of carp hatchery and FRP Magur Hatchery are available at the College for experimental and training purposes.
College of Fisheries, Dholi has well established research –cum- demonstration fish farm available for teaching and training.
The museum houses a fascinating collection of a large variety of finfish and shellfish and other aquatic animals that are carefully preserved and classified.
The College has separate hostel facility for male and female students separately within the campus. All necessary amenities for their comfortable stay are available in both hostels.
There is a great need of fisheries graduates in the Department of Fisheries, Government of Bihar. Several public and private sector units engaged in fisheries and aquaculture activities are also employing fisheries graduates.
A placement cell is in operation at University and College. It functions with the objective of exploring and coordinating the placement possibilities of fisheries graduates with perspective employing agencies as well as guiding students in persuing higher studies. Campus interview are also arranged as and when required by the employing agencies. Officer In-charge placement cell maintain, CV’s of all passed out student of the College.
At present, almost all the graduates passed from this college are employed in the public sectors (State Fisheries Deptt., Research Institutes of ICAR, Fisheries Colleges of SAU’s and CAU’s, Banks, private sectors (Aqua-farms, Processing plants, Feed industries) and are holding responsible positions.